The heavyweight trilogy showdown between WBC and lineal world champion Tyson Fury and former world champion Deontay Wilder that was scheduled for Saturday, July 24th at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas has been postponed due to Fury’s positive COVID-19 diagnosis. The news of Fury’s positive test came late last week. As a result, the bout will be rescheduled to October 9th at T-Mobile Arena. Tickets that were purchased for July 24th will be honored for the rescheduled date.
Fury vs. Wilder III is a multi-promotional event through Top Rank, BombZquad Promotions, TGB Promotions and Frank Warren’s Queensberry Promotions. It will be shown live on ESPN+ PPV and FOX Sports PPV.
While Fury did have the positive test last week, he had been in good spirits in the following days. He had recently won an award for boxer of the year from ESPN and was thankful for receiving that award. When it comes to the trilogy against Wilder, he felt disappointed that the bout would not take place in a couple of weeks.
“I wanted nothing more than to smash the ‘Big Dosser’ on July 24th, but I guess the beating will have to wait,” Fury said. “Make no mistake, I will be back and better than ever. We will fight Oct. 9th, and I will knock him spark out!”
There was no immediate comment from Wilder, but his manager Shelly Finkel was more inclined to respond. He had been waiting for this bout to happen after battling in court to assure that Fury fights Wilder – there was an attempt to make a fight between Fury and unified champion Anthony Joshua.
“This is what we went to arbitration for,” said Shelly Finkel, Wilder’s manager. “He just wanted what was owed to him. He remains ready to reclaim his world title on Oct. 9th.’’
As of this moment, the bouts that were part of the undercard are also rescheduled to the October 9th date.